Sunday, January 19, 2014

What the Fractor? Refractors - A Visual Guide

After returning to collecting within the past few years, I was very confused when it came to refractors. I didn't really understand the difference between a chrome card and a refractor. Then parallel cards like emerald foil, silver ice, and waves it gets even more confusing.

Cardboard connection has a great page on refractors.




The quick explanation for refractors is they are cards that refract light thus causing a rainbow effect with a ton of colors shown as light passes it. Refractors were first seen in 1993 Topps Finest. From that release they have shown up in various products, but are now a regular part of parallels in releases.

Not all chrome, ice, wave, or foil cards a refractors. Refractors are cards that have the rainbow when light hits the surface.
I'm not sure why this was a confusing concept for me, but it was. Hopefully, in writing this, it will help you to.

Other than providing a quick explanation for Refractors, I also wanted to host a place to include photos of various types of refractors to be used as a reference.




Refractor

















Xfractor - other than noticing the small squares in this refractor, you can also see X crossing throughout the card.


















Superfractor - notice the small swirls/circles all over the card in the refractor



















Color Parallel - Various Colors, but still has the rainbow light effect




















Wave - Has a wave effect across the face of the card


















Ice 

















Atomic Ice 

















Atomic Refractor

















Camo - Camo parallel with refractor

















As I think of more I left out, I will add them to the list.
Let me know if you have thought of any I haven't in the comments or hit me up on twitter @teddyballgamebb

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment